Finally, the much-hyped Xbox One is out, setting the stage for an epic holiday showdown between Microsoft and Sony. While the PS4 was released a full week before the Xbox One, Microsoft's next generation system is fully equipped with the latest games and acts as an all-out media hub.
But above all of that extra stuff is the carnal need to humiliate your enemies and work together with your team, and of course, none of this can be done without your trusted headset.
Some folks with early access to the Xbox One have reported issues with their shit-talking devices, aka headsets. Most often, these users simply cannot hear anything when they plug in their headset to their Xbox One controller, and if you're thinking that a third-party headset could solve the problem, think again.
According to multiple sources, and confirmed by Microsoft, the Xbox One will not support any other headset, including your Xbox 360 headset, until sometime next year. The new controller uses a USB connection versus the old-style plug.
Wireless headsets will also not be compatible.
So, while the Xbox One does come with a free headset, if you run into problems you aren't going to have many other options. So, here are a few Microsoft-approved methods for remedying your non-functioning Xbox One headset.
Make sure that there isn't any grime or buildup that's blocking the adapter from a clear connection to your controller. You can use a cotton swab and alcohol to clean the area. But, unless you spilled soda all over your headset or controller after opening the box, dirt is unlikely the issue.
If you've set up a child-friendly account, or your parents have created a child profile for you, chatting may have been disabled. You can change these settings on the console. By default, any profile created for someone under 17 has the set to "Friends Only."
To configure Privacy and Online Settings, follow these steps:
- Sign in to your Xbox Live account (your account or the one that controls the system).
- Press the Menu button on the controller.
- Go to Settings, then select Privacy and Online Settings.
- Ensure that Talk with people while gaming is allowed.
Now, it's time to just double-check that everything else is a-okay.
- Make sure that your Xbox One controller is working correctly.
- See if you can use the controller to turn on and turn off the console.
- Restart your Xbox One.
- Try an alternate controller (if you bought one).
- Reinsert the adapter and make sure it's properly connected.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades